Wednesday 19 January 2011

The truth about ATOS

Hi everyone,

I have become a little bit of a researcher into the history of ATOS.  I am a retired community nurse and have been very unwell for a few years now.  I first became interested when I was asked to go for a healthcare assessment with ATOS.  I researched them online and found that many claimants found that the ATOS medical practitioner either lied outright about them on the report or just produced a shambolic report.  I heard stories of people with brain cancer being told they were fit for work and likely to get better within 6 months.  I saw that many of these medical practitioners were from overseas and wondered why they did not have more British practitioners.

I finally went for the medical and actually passed, although I did ask for the Polish lady's name and GMC number.  For some reason she gave me an incorrect number, although I'm not sure why.  I also commented at the time to the receptionist that in my years in the NHS I had never heard anyone speak to someone like she spoke to my husband.  She did apologise.

Time passed and with the approach of a DLA medical I began to research ATOS more.  I found that they originated with a company related to the ENRON scandal in America (UNIM) and had been sued in America due to being a "disability denial factory".  I wondered why the labour government which I had helped vote in had contracted this company which had as it main objective merely to cut the number of claimants.  I then found that its parent company had wined and dined ministers at its conference.

Never mind, I thought, the new government knew there were big problems with ATOS and that the tribunals were being overwhelmed with appeals.  I was sure that as the ATOS contract was due for renewal Autumn 2010 they would not renew it.  Surely they would see that it would be morally wrong to engage a company who couldn't employ decent practitioners due to their bad reputation and their unwillingness to pay the going rate.  Well I was wrong.  Last Autumn the conservative renewed the ATOS contract.

By the time of my at home DLA assessment (two days before I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis) the 'doctor' poked me all over as if I was an animal and spent 17 minutes exactly in my home.  His report said that he had been here 48 minutes and that he had tested my eyesight (I think I might have noticed!).  I painfully walked 1 and a half metres and from that he deduced that I could walk at 3 and half kilometres per hour (I wish!).  He wrote on the form for the decision maker that my painkillers were for use only at night (untrue as I have to take them twice daily) and also that my antidepressants were only for occasional use. (I am on a very high dose as anything less does not work).  The decision maker is not a medically qualified person and has to rely on ATOS for the report.  They wrote to my GP and said that they no longer needed the report from him.  As you can imagine the decision they came to was rather perverse and we have asked for a reconsideration.

We received this morning a letter saying that they would pass our complaint to the medical complaints team for ATOS.  Of course there is not much chance of anything happening there as ATOS employ their own cronies to investigation their complaints.

I have written to my MP about this and received a reply along the lines that the government do not want to employ unnecessary organisations.

So anyone who is genuinely ill has to face the stress of dishonest medical assessments by ATOS whether for IB, ESA or DLA.  In addition anyone who works for the NHS or education will usually have ATOS as the medical practitioner used to decide whether they qualify for ill health retirement.  Needless to add, most applications are refused on the lack of evidence of 'permanence' and go to the second appeal and ombudsman.  ATOS here merely act as loss adjusters for the insurance companies who provide the pensions.

I was unsurprised to recently learn that ATOS had team up with its sister company KPMG.  Birds of a feather stick together!

5 comments:

  1. Oh My God !!!! I have just read this and everything you say here has sounded alarm bells again. My Partner had an ATOS medical and it was just a farce ! The So Called Dr would NOT let her speak to answer the questions she was being asked and wrote the biggest pile of lies in his report as well. I have also gone to my MP about this and if need be I will be outside 10 Downing Street till I get this resolved. ATOS & The Tribunal Service are all in it together and as you say their main aim is to stop as many people getting the help they so desperately need. It just makes my blood boil talking about this as today; 10th May 2011 my Partner had her 4th Appeal Postponed for yet another medical, I belive that it is a tactic they are using because I have got my MP involved.I will NOT rest till I get her claim sorted out because they have picked the most determined person in me to hack off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put in that they also use phrases that IMO have little meaning apart from the HCP recommends the claimant goes in the support group or that the report actually consists of very few if any facts, provided by the HCP, that is why it is a REPORT OF MEDICAL OPINION! Because an opinion is never wrong, so use their own words against them whenever you wish to prove the HCP wrong say that it is your opinion and then produce facts to back up your opinion even ask where the facts are to back up the HCPs opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i personaly know loads of people disabled ,who have atos medicals have lied cheated them ,and all of them have won on appeals ,in a nut shell atos are fukin lieing bastards ,and i hope panarama exposes them for bieng just that .

    ReplyDelete
  4. atos lie on the forms they fillout...they are govournement pen pushers to falsify thier figures so the mps can hide more money in off shore accounts..the whole system should be overhauled and when a govournement trained andpaid doctor says your disabled...the dwp should say your disabled,,,even when you complain and ask for it to go further,they resend you to dwp...what a waste of time and effort it becomes...6 months after tribunal still no where further in life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atoso are a bunch of deceitful liers who doctor the already farce of a medical. I have several ailments severe back pains when walking or standing to long they say I can walk a quarter of a mile. I have two bad knees the left one operated on in 2002 both my wrists and thumost are in constant pain waiting for an operation on thumbrella one at a time. I suffer bad megrains and just now I'm havingoing bowel problems where a camera is getting used to probe area on 20/12/2016 at the atos medical the false medical expert knewitness nothing
    A week or so later I gothink the refusal through the post and every thing was altered. I never said anything that was on the report
    The lying scumbags how are they alloewe'd to to this. I also got a fail on the mandatory reconsideration notice not long after. I'm appealing against that but I don't hold any hope as these appeals are sordid and disgusting.
    A couple of years ago I secretly videof taped medical and failed liespecially again so after that appeal which I also lost through utter lies. So I sent a copy of my recording to the appeals address next thing I know the police are at my door I was desperate I had to try and prove that this scum are outrighthe fibbers. These doctors earn £20,000 + Per month for getting poeple off benefits at any cost.

    ReplyDelete